9.22.2006

Finding out who is responsible for that dreck

Miss Snark,

Is it possible to find out the name of an agent who helped to publish* a certain book? Let's say I really enjoy an author's books and am looking for an agent who publishes similar types of works. Is there an easy way to look up him/her? Is a novel's agent located somewhere in the book or on a resource somewhere online (besides the acknowledgements -- when the agent is lucky)?

*You know, there must be a verb I'm unaware of that captures this meaning. "The name of an agent who agented a certain book" just didn't sound right. What exactly do you call what you do in between drinking gin and blogging? (work)



The phrase is "the agent who sold the book". There's a list of who represents whom at Publishers Marketplace. It's a subscription website and worth every penny of the $20/month.

I sincerely hope you are aware of the verb "to sell" if you intend to query anyone you find there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is also a book at the library but I can't remembe the name of it. It's in the reference section. The reference librarian should be able to help locate it.

BuffySquirrel said...

Googling the author's name or the book title along with the word "agent" can sometimes turn up the agent's identity.

Linda Adams said...

Also, try looking in the thank you's in the front of the book--sometimes the author will thank their agent. Plus, you can always search agent Web sites for author names. That's how I've been researching for agents to submit ... simply looking for names of authors I've read and enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

Call the publishing house that put out the book and ask them. I know that might sound intrusive, but I did it once and the receptionist (of the department they transfered me to) did not seem bothered in the slightest to look up that information and tell me. And this was one of the granddaddy publishing houses, by the way.

Dwight The Troubled Teen said...

...Or just go to Agentquery.com and enter the name of a published author in the search field.

It hasn't failed me yet.