9.16.2006

Sobol is not Sobel

There's been a lot of commentary, and I've gotten a lot of emails, about the name choice for this so-called prize.

I can't find a reason for it. Maybe it's the guy's mother's name.

Dunno.

What I do know is that it's NOT Nat Sobel who is a reputable agent (Barry Eisler's in fact) and a good guy.

Before you conspiracy buffs start hitching up the bandwagon, I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts the Sobol guys didn't intentionally try to confuse anyone. Conspiracies require thought, planning, knowledge. I don't see any of that on the basics let alone the subtleties of the Sobol website. I just count myself lucky they didn't call it the Misssnerk Prize

10 comments:

Judy said...

The one thing I can't figure is why all those big name people are attached to this. Have they lost their minds?

Ryan Field said...

At least someone, here, is ranting and snarking about it out loud. These days it's hard to get anyone to take a stand on anything.

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

I emailed that lawyer fella, but havn't gotten an answer yet. Don't really expect one either.

Mark said...

Yeah notice how there is no one there named Sobel? That's no accident. They're playing on a recognized name and that will rook newbies. Gur? A computer geek who is an unpublished writer? THis sounds like Willem Meiners the second to me, except his staff seem to have publishing credentials only no current job apparently. It stinks.

Anonymous said...

Miss Snark, thanks for pointing out this rip-off to us. Prizes of this amount could easily have bedazzled some of us into missing the down side.

Anonymous said...

I would be really annoyed if I was Nat Sobel.

Barbara said...

Maybe they're Encyclopedia Brown fans from way back?
It's a bass-ackwards tribute to Los Lobos?

Daisy said...

Did they maybe think it sounded a little bit like "Nobel"?

stephanie said...

Holy crap. THANK YOU. Someone sent me a link to that contest. I saw the name Sobel and wondered if it was, indeed, Nat Sobel. I am so glad it is not.

stephanie said...

And only now do I realize I missed the "o" in Sobol and automatically put an "e" in there.

Those tricky bastards!