10.22.2006

Agent email addresses

I would appreciate your opinion on the following quote from The Rejecter’s blog:

The general rule is: If you can find the agent's email address on a major website (like AgentQuery.com), it's safe to send an email query, but be professional about it. And yes, you can put the first couple pages below the text if you want; that's no skin off our backs.

As always, thank you!


Actually I think she amended the post when I sent her a heads up that I was going to say no no no about that.

Agent emails get posted all over the place. My buddy Gerard Jones posts all of them he can get his mitts on. Lots of people see an email address and fire off a query without doing a single lick of research. For proof I can offer up all the queries received here at MissSnark. What kind of nitwit queries Miss Snark?? More than twenty, less than five hundred. Nitwits all.

AgentQuery had my (authentic) email up for awhile but they were pretty speedy about taking it down when I asked. Other places haven't. And then there are dog help us, the folks who promise to tailor your query email list to "select agents" and fire off form emails that all sound alike. One of the blog readers sent me the source of those -these guys. I get emails from them all the time even after clicking the "don't send me mo, no mo" links.


I don't want to get into whether agents should take queries by email.
The point of this post is to help you make sure your query gets read.
Even if you see an email at a "reputable place" don't assume the agent reads queries electronically.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

One agent I was thinking about querying has "Does not accept unsolicited queries" on his site. He also doesn't accept email queries, but no queries at all? I'm confused. Does this mean he's not taking on new clients? Did I just qualify as Nitwit of the Day?

Jillian said...

Yes, she did amend her post, and gave you credit.

Thanks for addressing this!

Marlo said...

No, Miss Snark! You *never* click on the 'Please Remove From Your List / Stop Emailing Me, You Inbred Nitwits' link!

That's the oldest trick that spammers have. It proves they have a valid live email address, and they can now gleefully redouble their efforts--and sell you out to many more of their scummy little friends.

slwhitman said...

Some sites, like Publisher's Lunch, publish the email of the person submitting the announcement. So when an editor submits an announcement, their email goes up like anyone else's. Ever since sending my first announcement to Publisher's Lunch, I get email queries all the time.

At least most of them realize I'm an editor, but I've gotten several emails asking me to represent their book.

...

Yeah.

So beware that some sites don't even list all agents. If they're skyping their info from Publisher's Lunch (which I've seen blogs do, and had to ask certain people NOT to republish my email on their blog), then you really can't guarantee that the person is even an agent, let along one that takes email queries.

Dave said...

If I were uncertain about send a query through the e-mail, I'd just ask. A simple:
"May I e-mail a query about my novel to you?"
This will get a "yes" or "no" or "no answer." And in the latter two, get the paper copies ready.

green ray said...

Agent Query has a number of people who list their email addresses, but say they don't accept email queries. Well, I tried emailing a few anyway, and got full manuscript requests. I figure it means they want to cut down on their email queries, but they did read and request my ms. If they don't want emails, then they should remove their address from the site, like you did, Miss Snark, although I could swear that yours is still up there!

The Rejecter said...

Yeah, sorry about the whole mess. Well, I learn by doing.

roach said...

Lots of people see an email address and fire off a query without doing a single lick of research.

It's not limited to just e-mail either. Exhibit A: Lucy Literary has received several postal submissions.