10.17.2006

Greener grass is the sign of a septic tank

Dear Ms. Snark,
Earlier this year I signed a contract with an agent to represent a particular project. Now, I have been contacted by another agent from a larger agency about this project. Any suggestions on how to handle this dilemma. Is there anything unethical about talking to agent #2 when agent #1 hasn't sold the book?
Thanks.



It's not a dilemma.
You don't get to trade up when a new agent comes sniffing around.
You're under contract with #1. You don't have anything to offer #2 until you've terminated with #1.

Agent #2 isn't going to find trading up any more appetizing than #1 or I do either. Clients willing to screw one agent are that much more likely to do it again. We all know this and it's one of the things we like to talk about.. a lot.

Suck it up.

7 comments:

Dave said...

The key phrase is "I signed a contract."
Now you have to live up to its terms. That's the long and short of it.

Maya said...

**Is there anything unethical about talking to agent #2 when agent #1 hasn't sold the book?**

The fact that you are even asking this question suggests you already know the answer.

At the end of the night, you go home with the one who brought you to the dance.

angrylil'asiangirl said...

if you breach a contract before its terms expire, you're opening the door to be sued.

contract law in a nutshell.

yossarian said...

Besides that, bigger isn't always better. You might be throwing away a gem of an agent for a Big Jerk at a Big Agency. It happens.

writtenwyrdd said...

I suppose you must suck it up, and say thank god you have an agent at all. Let it ride.

susan said...

Dear Miss Snark
Earlier this year, I got married, but now another man, richer and handsomer than my husband, has asked me out.

Any suggestions on how to handle this dilemma? Is there anything unethical about dating this new guy while I'm still married to my husband?
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I'd rather be a big fish in a small pond, than a minnow in a big pond. Or a dead fish on the side of the road without any pond to swim in at all.