10.26.2006

The Happy Hooker Crapometer=December 15

Mark your calenders! (ok, ok, calendars is correct--I can't spell necessary without running spell check either)

12 hour open window (specific hours TBA) for sending me your 'hook' of 250 or fewer words. My word count program is Word. Plan accordingly. I"m going to watch the count cruelly because I can.

You will email me your hook; I'll post it. I'll tell you if you've hooked me or not.

If you have, you'll send pages-up to 750 words.
If you haven't, you won't. You will however see what kinds of things made me say no.

Things that will help you hear yes: deft language, plot highlights that include some sort of "oh wow" moment, interesting use of old forms, something new and fresh.

Notice in the run up examples I've posted that "this story is about" and "my hero is" are NEVER seen. Use this information to your advantage.

There WILL be an FAQ as we get closer. Any questions you want answered should be emailed to me with Happy Hooker Crapometer Question in the subject line (or some variation thereof so you don't get lost in the shuffle).

14 comments:

KC said...

Thank you, Miss Snark!
This is much more generous than I expected.

Lexie Ward said...

Love the "Snark's Anatomy" by the way. LMAO.

Anonymous said...

Is the hook the first 250 words of the novel? Is that what you're asking for?

Anonymous said...

Hooker me up!
Thanks. Looking forward to it.

GutterBall said...

Wow! Here I sat fussing over that 101st word that I simply couldn't cut. And 750 words is fantastic.

...Guh. Am I really thinking about doing this? Someone talk me out of it!

Laurie said...

Excellent!

I have a 100 word hook, but 250 words would definitely work better.

shelby said...

Thanks Miss Snark! I hope I make it past the hook stage :).

Jean Marie said...

I look forward to this snarkabulous opportunity, Miss Snark.

Does KY know you're doing the crapometer, again? Hope he's forgiving about his walk-time being cut short.

Jen said...

This sounds like one I might risk. I'm ready to take on the Snarking. Maybe. Here's my dumbass question of the day. Does it have to be something completed? Or do you care? LOL.
Totally willing to be the nitwit of the day. Why not? I do it a lot offline. Might as well try it online.

Chumplet said...

I think I have the makings of a good one. I just hope I don't get locked out again.

I shall look forward to upcoming FAQs and may have a few of my own.

wop-sided said...

Can we hook you more than once?

Gordon said...

"The Happy Hooker Crapometer=December 15

Mark your calenders!"

Who in hell would want an agent who posts a blog for the entire world to see and can't even be bothered to spell the word calendar correctly? No wonder you're hiding your identity.

Jack_Roberts said...

Thank you! I can't wait!

SamB said...

I can hardly wait, not just to submit, but to see the others. A real opportunity to second-guess a professional.

I want to be a hooker!
SamB