10.22.2006

One At A Time

Snarkilicious (I'm going to get reamed for that one), (Actually, I like it, but it's SnarkiliciousMiss)

I'm vying for nitwit of the day with my question. An editor that I met at a conference gave a presentation on qualities of a book that make him sit up and take notice. During my manuscript critique with him, he said that what I had written wasn't his style, but that I wrote well enough for him to extend an invitation for me to submit my entire manuscript. I'm not a total nitwit, so I know enough to take him up on that opportunity, but I was wondering if it would be generally stupid and/or worthless for me to mention in my cover letter that, having heard his presentation, I have a couple of other projects that are very different that he might be interested in, and then to provide (very) short summaries of my other books.


Separate the queries.
Send the manuscript with a cover letter that says "thanks for asking to see this, hope it rocks your world, love and kisses etc".

If he says no, you send another letter saying "thanks for the shot with Novel A, I attended your presentation and paid close attention to your pearls of wisdom, here's Novel B".

If he says yes, he sells Novel A, and you've got work in the pipeline too (which is always a nice thing).

I just hate cover letters that have more than one idea cause it means my response is generally a very generic one to cover everything.

One at a time.

3 comments:

Kimber An said...

Strange. Why would he ask to see the whole manuscript if he already admitted it wasn't his style?

Miss Snark said...

oh you'd be surprised how much we suddenly like something we think we can sell.

Anonymous said...

I asked the question, and this is great advice but leaves me with another question. The editor I spoke to works at a house that accepts only agented submissions. So if he rejects the manuscript I submit, and I write the second letter about the other work I have that I think he'd like, won't it just get thrown away along with all the other 'unsolicited' mail?