10.31.2006

Red Letter Writing Contest #33

"The Blue Dragoon," I whispered.

A crisp voice boomed out from behind the locked door. "The password is correct. You may enter."

I walked in, though not without apprehension. I had been called, but what could I expect? A table covered in strange symbols? Black candles? Tapestries showing scenes of unimaginable horror? I swallowed the lump in my throat, and my steps slowed.

"Hurry," their retainer called. "They're waiting for you."

"What enterprise have they for me?" I asked.

He smirked and continued to a doorway. "Go on in."

I hesitated at the threshold. No light pierced the interior, but I thought I sensed movement.

"Come forward. You have been chosen."

"Who are you?"

The retainer pushed me into the room. I stumbled, turned to leave, but the door shut behind me.

Lights fluttered overhead, and then I saw them: ominous, hooded figures.

"I am called Victoria of Strauss." I couldn't see who spoke, and the sound seemed to come from nowhere and everywhere. "You have been chosen to become one of us. One of the cabal."

"Why?"

"You spoke against them, against Bauer, Fletcher, and Robins. You are one of us."

"How do you know?"

"We share the same agenda."

"Which is?"

"We can't tell you."

"Do I get a secret nickname?"

"Oh, yes. From now on, you will be known as Snark."

Snark wasn't bad. "Can I be Miss Snark?"

"No." A dark cloth landed at my feet. "The robe's pocket only had room for five letters."


Miss Snark is down for the count.
Damn.

1 comment:

Southern Writer said...

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.