11.29.2006

Dating a Literary Agent

Dear Miss Snark,

I recently asked out a literary agent. She made me send her a date query, of all things, including a cover letter and a synopsis of what we’d do on the date. I even had to include a self-addressed stamped envelope for her reply. I did all that and she agreed to go out with me.

I picked her up Friday evening and took her to a really nice restaurant. Things went well at first, but then she started correcting my grammar, pointing out typos on the menu, and complaining about the gin slush. Right after dinner she made me take her home because it was a “partial date”. She said all first dates with literary agents are “partials”. She said she’d think things over and if she likes me well enough we can go out on a “full date”.

Can you tell me what I should expect on a “full date” with a literary agent?

We keep video archives.

7 comments:

Elektra said...

Er--should I be worried that I actually do point out the typos on a menu?

Simon Haynes said...

Me too, and I helpfully mark them all in red pen.

Dave said...

Two thumbs up! My smile of the day!

Anonymous said...

That's my ex. Nothing like a trip down memory lane.

Kate Thornton said...

You should see my rejection letter...

angrylil'asiangirl said...

awesome -- hil-AR-ious post!

my shit's still cracking up.

David said...

God, that was clever!