11.17.2006

Snarkling Assistance Needed!!

Hey Miss Snark,

So the holidays are coming up, and I'm trying to remember all the books you had strongly recommended for the snarklings to either improve our writing ability or simply broaden our horizons for the definition of a good book. I know I'll be making several long trips over the break and could definitely use some reading material for when I'm not the one
driving, and I imagine there will be others in similar situations.

Any chance we could get such a list on site?


Well, the chances I'm going to dive into the Snarkives to reread my deathless prose are nill, unless Santa promises Mr. Clooney in my stocking.

However, if any of the Snarklings care to dive in and post a comment or email a couple of the titles, I will be glad to compile and post them. I'll even leave it on the FAQ so it will be easier to find/reference for anyone who needs giftage suggestions.

Meanwhile, it's stopped raining in New York, it's the end of a long week, and KY has reminded me it's opening day for the new James Bond movie. We are in the elevator and on our way!

14 comments:

Sam said...

Oh, the James Blond movie - I'm dying to go. Been pining to see it ever since I stuck up for blondie when everyone at a dinner party was bemoaning the fact he wasn't tall dark and handsome.
I think he's ALMOST as sexy as Mr. C.
Nuff said.

Anonymous said...

PatWalsh: 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might.

kitty said...

George Clooney in a stocking? Reminds me of this ad featuring Broadway Joe Namath wearing pantyhose.

Darlene Ryan said...

I know this makes me a giant suck-up but I've been keeping a list of sorts.

Writing Books:
Kirsch's Guide to the Book Contract
Writer's Market
Guide to Literary Agents
A Writer's Life
78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published
Chicago Manual of Style
How to Write a Query Letter

For the TBR Pile in General:
Native Speaker--Chang-Rae Lee
Motherless Brooklyn
Baby Proof-Emily Giffin
The Amulet of Samakind
Persuader-Lee Child
Rainfall-Barry Eisler
Darkly Dreaming Dexter
The Institutionist
Portraits-Kimmelman
Anansi Boys
Brooklyn Noir
Hitman
So Yesterday
Last Night

S. W. Vaughn said...

From the post "Miss Snark Retires to the Speakeasy for the Weekend":

What Is Life Worth, Kenneth R Feinberg (Public Affairs)

Saints at the River, Ron Rash (Picador)

Last Night, James Salter (Doubleday)

Anything by Barry Eisler, Alan Furst and Charlie Huston.

The Myron Bolitar books by Harlen Coben

Bleak House, Dickens. Aloud. Trust me.

Cheryll said...

Er...I don't think I'll be much help. I just can't get past that image of Mr. Clooney in your stockings....

ChaoticKristen said...

Salutations, Miss Snark and the delightfully smart KY.

One you recommended: A Writer's Life by Jay Talese.

Happy Bond viewing.

Anonymous said...

PatWalsh: 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might.

REALLY HELPED ME.

McKoala said...

Maybe this makes me a tragic, but I saved the link to the list that Kristen made up of the 'most aweful books':

http://kirstenmortensen.com/index.php/a-snarkling-reading-list.htm

This might keep you going for a while!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Enjoy the Bond movie. It's a little long but I loved it. The movie is old school Bond, the best since Mr. Connery.

LadyBronco said...

Three of my favorite men mentioned all in the same comment section?

George Clooney
Sean Connery
Daniel Craig

I just ruined another keyboard.
Too much drool.

Oh My.

type, monkey, type said...

Was Winter's Bone and Tropic of NIght mentioned yet? Read both of them on Her Highness's recommendations - fantastic.

genevieve said...

Like you are really going to do RESEARCH with George. As if.

Anonymous said...

Was they mentioned? I don't know. Do you expect me to go back and look, when you are unwilling to?