Check that Czech's cheque!!


I'm going to submit my hook to the Crapometer. At the moment it's in UK spelling rather than US because, being Scots, I'd rather know I was spelling correctly in UK English than perhaps poorly in US English. Just wanted to check whether that will be ok, as I'd rather be snarked for my writing than my spelling? I'm quite willing to use US spelling if it'll be a problem, but I'm not absolutely confident that it'll be totally correct. (The difference will be minimal, anyway.)

Will Miss Snark spell cheque with vigour?
Will much depend on the red waggon...yet again?

Pish posh.

As you can tell from all 3000 previous posts, spelling is not Miss Snark's strong suit. Write well. Hook hard. There's always an ascerbic grammarian spell czech to fire off volleys of outraged corrections, bless their little hearts.


A Paperback Writer said...

Oh, my sympathies to the Scot! I did my MSc at the University of Edinburgh and had to deal with some tutors (those are instructors of various levels for all the Americans reading) who wanted British spelling with British punctuation, some who wanted American spelling and punctuation, some who wanted British spelling with American punctuation. My dissertation (thesis here in the States) was done in American forms, except for all the quotes from English authors and large sections quoted in Scots, which meant I just turned off the spell check completely. There's no spell check for Scots. :)
Best of luck dealing with Webster's crazy invention of American spelling.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

When I was teaching freshman comp, I could always tell the Canadian students by a glance at their writings. The first time you see what seems to be a mis-spelling, it stands out. The second time, you start to catch on.

If you don't get it by the third, you're the nitwit.

murm said...

There's always an ascerbic grammarian spell czech to fire off volleys of outraged corrections, bless their little hearts.

that's "acerbic."

*runs away*

The Gambino Crime Family said...

Yeah, it's frustrating. I'm an American living in London writing a YA novel set in America (but with mainly British characters). Was little Tommy "studying" for his exams or "revising?" Do you put stuff in the "boot" or the "trunk." I think I'm eventually going to have to do two versions, one with spellings for both markets.

Miss Snark said...

ya ya ya Murm

wv: as whip

Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone mentioned this. I was worried Miss Snark might think me semi-literate [(when truthfully, I'm merely Australian ;) ]

To the gambino crime family, I share your problem. Lately, I find myself using many USAmerican terms in my writing (e.g. "parking lot" for "car park" and "flashlight" for "torch") while still retaining British/Australian spelling, and mixing both British and USAmerican grammar. It's mostly unconscious. In fact, I am sometimes confused as to which is correct for my culture. Only yesterday I agonised over whether offering a seat in one's car for a journey is termed "to offer a lift" or "to offer a ride" in Australia.

Thraesja said...

Hey Gambino, I think your problem might actually be fun. How you phrase things would depend on what point of view you're writing from. If you're in first person then all of your spelling and wording might be in whatever nationality the main character(s) is/are. If you are in close third, then maybe the spelling is for the intended market, but the wording is how the character would phrase it. You might completely switch wording styles whenever you switch from an American to a British character.
Am I a tremendous loser for finding that a fun concept?

Bernita said...

Hope not,Thraesja, that's how I gone and done it.

Peni Griffin said...

This is natural language evolution. The phenomenon is called "code-switching" and it's common as dirt where two languages rub shoulders, though it's most noticeable when the two languages are less closely related (i.e., Spanglish).

If you ever get the story as far as being copyedited, you will drive the poor wage slaves mad. Don't take it personally. Their job is to be really, really sure that no peculiarity you don't specifically want gets through. Write in: "OK; regionalism" next to each instance that seems to you legitimate and all will be well.

Honestly, if you know enough to worry about it, you're probably safe.