Health Insurance for Writers

Dear Miss Snark,

I'm doing a semester paper for a class on a career I'd like to pursue, and I have to answer a question about health benefits. How do writers receive health benefits from their employers? is what I need to know.

Writers don't have employers. they receive royalties on a 1099-M Misc. income form.
If they have health insurance at all, they have it through something like Authors Guild, a spouse, or some other way.


Katie said...

Yeah, and they pay something which is like hundreds of thousands of dollars for it.

Ah! The unencumbered life.

John said...

(Writing from the bliss of a country with a national health service, but:)

Presumably, most writers get their health insurance from their day jobs? Or, if they're lucky, they buy it using their income.

pax et bonum

Anonymous said...

Or else they live in a sensible country where health cover is considered an essential and is paid for by the tax system. Oh and if they DO have a day job, they get four to six weeks holiday a year.

Mwah hah hah hah!

x.j. said...

I'm freelance and have solo insurance through Blue Cross/Community Blue. My plan is in the $120/month range. Its not fabulous, but, if I go into the hospital at least I won't be destroyed by the bills.

mahukey said...

WHHAAAT!!!This really happens? The government pays for...health care....where do I sign up. I can sing the Canadian anthem! Hey, that just ain't fair!

Maya Reynolds said...

Of all the challenges I have faced as a writer, the issue of medical insurance has been the most difficult.

Because I am a diabetic (well controlled), it was almost impossible to get individual health insurance. My monthly bill eventually reached $550 with a huge deductible and crummy benefits. I was essentially protecting myself from a health catastrophe, nothing else.

Seeing the direction I was headed--with a long time before I would qualify for Medicare--I decided I had to find a job. It took nearly a year to find something that fit my parameters: a position that paid well, but was not so demanding that I could not work at night and on weekends and that had excellent benefits.

I am now working as an administrator for a division of my state's university system. I'm making half of what I once made, but I also have half the pressure I once had. I made it clear at the outset that I could not work nights or weekends. Fortunately, my writing skills are prized by the faculty, and things are going well. The benefits are freaking unbelievable. I pinch myself every day at my good fortune.

I have been a lifelong Republican, but in the recent election I voted Democrat and will continue to do so until the U.S. creates a system of universal healthcare.