12.19.2006

HH Com 184

When Harold Waterman serves a beautiful woman in his second-hand emporium, he doesn't know that she's the Angel of Pestilence or see her oil-coloured wings caressing his cheek. Diagnosed with a sudden terminal illness, he breaks down and cries on his mum's apron. To console him, she gives him a trunk that his absent father left behind when he was born.

Inside the trunk is a book which tells him how to summon the demon Jasfoup, a pair of animate gargoyle daggers and a lollipop.

Jasfoup promises to help Harold and gives him the Sight, by which he can see everything that the human mind had been trained to ignore. Harold finds that beneath the veneer of a north-London suburb lies everything he thought was a fairy story: Ghosts (his Uncle Frederick refused to go to Heaven because they had a No Smoking policy), Vampires (he'd always thought that there was something odd about Mr. Isaacs) and Angels.

It was the angels that he was most worried about; they kept coming after him with very sharp swords.

"That's because you're Lucifer's lad," said Jasfoup. "Didn't your mum mention it?"

"That I was the son of the Lord of Hell?" Harold shook his head. "I don't think so. I'm sure I would have remembered that."


So...what's the novel about? Dealing with being the son of Lucifer? Cause you might want to lead with that if it is.

And given how Miss Snark feels about Ol' Nick what's the problem.

Focus. Start over.

14 comments:

writtenwyrdd said...

This is very entertaining and I think I'd like to read the book. But listen to Miss Snark.

Crys said...

i liked this quite a lot. would love to read more.

December Quinn said...

I agree. It sounds really fun, but what happens?

Tell me and I'll totally read it.

cm allison said...

Intrigues me also, listen to MS, and run with it!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...I like the idea behind this. But something about it reminds me strongly of Ananzi Boys. It's a combination of the style, the character and the situation. Obviously, there's the old saw about there being only so many stories in the world...

...but this really, really reminds me of Ananzi Boys. To the point where I'd assume direct inspiration unless you take it in an entirely original direction.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really interesting, but I agree that there needs to be more mention of how the plot progresses.

Inkwolf said...

Not personal--is it me, or does this Crapometer seem to be showing a major trend in books where the angels are the bad guys and the devils and demons are the good guys?

Issendai said...

Points for drollness. If the author can sustain the tone, I'd love to read this one.

HawkOwl said...

I thought I liked it, but when I read it again, it turned out I didn't. I liked the dialogue and the spell that summons a demon and a lollipop, but the rest is pretty flat. It just felt dynamic at first because of the juxtaposition of things I didn't expect to see together.

Good luck with it.

A Paperback Writer said...

So, what happens to the lollipop?

xiqay said...

In case you're reading these comments, Miss Snark, (as if!)--there was a lovely Disney picture book called Villains that contained many of the more celebrated villains from the Disney animated movies.

When my dd was 5, this was the book that captured her interest. (We borrowed it from the library so much they eventually gave it to us!)

There's a lot to learn, even in picture books, about villains.

MWT said...

This would probably make for a good movie trailer. I'd watch a movie like that. ;)

Edyta said...

About 5 years ago, Adam Sandler played the son of Lucifer in the comedic film Little Nicky.

Anonymous said...

One of the other anonymouses said this reminded them of Anasi Boys. I haven't read that, but this does strongly remind me of another Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett book- Good Omens. I do suspect direct inspiration- Angel of Pestilence? Humans not seeing ghosts? Droll humor?
So yeah, the book seems to have all the components I love of Terry Pratchett, and so long as the book isn't derivative I'd love it.
All that said, listen to Miss Snark.