HH Com 265 (262)

The mountains outside Vancouver are picture-postcard gorgeous. One of them used to do double duty as the headquarters of a covert organization tasked with preventing nuclear winter. Now the installation resembles nothing so much as a radioactive salad bowl, nine-tenths of the group's personnel are dead, and the ones who are still alive are snapping at each other in the penthouse suite of a D.C. Marriott.

But cheer up! Things are only getting worse. An ex-agent is on national TV, their field-clueless neurosurgeon has blown the remains of their security, and the most senior agent who's still alive is determined to play James Bond... even if it means her aneurysm pops. Meanwhile, the same people who dropped a nuke on their base are wreaking havoc on the general population. They're starting with Three Mile Island re-enactments and heading for Chernobyl and beyond. Can they be stopped? Undoubtedly. Can they be stopped in time? Ah, there's the rub....

oh good, nuclear winter as a plot device. I'll get my sweater.

Clearly this is supposed to be a comedy, and the writing supports that so I'd be willing to grant you the premise of anyone surviving a direct nuclear strike.

You'll need to be specific about the hero, and the antagonist (none of this shadowy force of doom crap either). You've already laid out the stakes: the by now to be expected "saving of the world".

Since I'm in favor of fiery conflagrations, before breakfast if at all possible, this would appeal to me but you'd have to sharpen the hook before I'd ask for pages.


Michele said...

I loved the tone of the second paragraph.

Anonymous said...

There's something about it I liked, but radiation poisoning is gonna be a problem. I actually thought the story was serious, but the author would tell it in a lgihthearted way somehow. Probably not the intent of the hook. Not sure which way to lean on this one until I know if it's a comedy or serious.

Saturday said...

Thanks for the encouragement, michele and anon! To clear a couple things up:

1) Everyone at ground zero is dead. Full stop. Quite carbonized. Those still alive were elsewhere when the bomb hit; out on missions or whatnot.

2) The actual book is serious, but our styles tend toward the flippant. Think of Carl Hiaasen. Lots of people die, but they do it in hilarious ways. Doesn't mean that you *want* to die in a hilarious way, though, so the characters try to avoid it.

Finally, with regards to the comments of Her Snarkiness, thanks so much for the feedback. The hook is indeed a bit too much on the flip side; the vague side, too, which I realized about a day after I sent it. This is an unfinished collaboration, so my other author normally reins in my sick sense of humor somewhat.

Next time!

Anonymous said...

I liked this a lot. I'd pick this up at the airport just off the dust jacket. Good job.

Combines the best of the best--intrigue, suspense, and humor. If the book can sustain the voice and energy, and makes good on the promise of the plot, I'd line-jump this to top of my To Read pile.

LOL at MS's sweater line.