12.21.2006

HH Com 284 (282)

Once, it is said, the Goddess Ea walked with her children. But mortal memory is short, and that was long ago…

Morganise is a new widow, accused of casting the spell that killed her husband. Exiled from her village, she thinks her life is over until she meets the missing goddess Ea in an old whispering place.

At Ea’s request, Morganise infiltrates the carnal fire god’s temple as a visiting priestess, hoping to expose the new religion’s lies. But Lectara, High Priestess of Charik’s Temple, has other plans for Morganise. Lectara has lived for centuries by stealing the bodies of her successors, and Morganise’s bond with Ea makes her the perfect candidate to be the next host.

Keldan is Morganise’s childhood friend and her only supporter. Though he has loved her since they played in the woods outside of Luckinbill, he suppresses his feelings out of respect for his brother, Morganise’s late husband. Keldan doesn’t quite believe that Morganise has been touched by the goddess; after all, no one believes in Ea anymore. But Morganise needs him, so he teaches her to fight, assigns her a giant, one-legged bodyguard named Teaj—and unwittingly drives her into Lectara’s hands.

Morganise learns that Ea’s Gift alone would not save her, nor would Keldan, as much as she wants him to. Only when she saves herself does she realize the gift is not hers to receive, but hers to give.


I want me one of them thar one-legged body guards. What the heck does he do..hop?

You've got too many people, and too much description roaming around here. Focus on two people and their problems: Lectara needs a new face; plastic surgery isn't what she had in mind. She latches on to Morganise (a name that is too evocative of mayonaise really) only to discover that Morganise has a one legged bodyguard who.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me, Morganise sounds like something you'd have done to your car to stop it from rusting.

Anonymous said...

Hey MS, Teaj doesn't need a second leg, if you catch my drift, hubba, hubba.

Sorry author, I didn't mean that in a vicious way, I just couldn't resist. I'm just a vulgar man. I actually liked it.

Rei said...

Well, at least I thought the plot was neat. Hate the MC's name, but I liked the plot.

Virginia Miss said...

I agree with the first anon, morganise = rust proofing. Maybe Morganis?

corprew said...

The one legged bodyguard's name was Teaj, but everyone called him Skippy.

Pisica said...

I knew a guy who'd permanently messed up one arm in a motorcycle accident, and therefore always wore it in a sling. He was a roadie for some band. I wish I'd been able to see him hauling around speakers and concert gear one-handed....