12.23.2006

HH Com 389

“There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organisation. If there are such things as angels, hope that they are organised along the lines of the Mafia.” – Kurt Vonnegut

(i've ranted long and hard about not putting quotes in your queries. this is the exception to the rule because it sets up the FIRST sentence of the query directly)

When angels visit Tony Vidmar, he’s left with severe bruising and the distinct impression that they aren’t happy with his business partner.

But his partner is dead – has been for years. Tony gets his instructions, and his pay cheques, from a medium who is only in occasional contact with the former construction boss.

Building a new brewery in a small town isn’t easy. Negotiating the labyrinth of local government regulations, contractor kickbacks and labour hire problems is difficult enough, but the surprisingly violent interest from the Righteous Messengers of the Lord is more than Tony can handle.

Tony’s on a tight deadline, and the brewery has to be up and running by Easter. But in the face of divine opposition, his contacts are suddenly unhelpful, his workers demand more money and the medium goes to ground. And Tony hasn’t been told to shut down the project – only to stop his partner doing whatever it is that’s annoying the hosts of Michael.

If only he could work out what it is.

oh yea, this works. big time.

It's funny, it's mordant, it's absolutely not the correct form, but it's vivid. I'd be an idiot not to read on. And I'm only an idiot three days a week.

18 comments:

Kat said...

This sounds funny as hell. Looking forward to the pages for sure. :)

BernardL said...

WTF! :) So, new form: just put a Kurt quote in front of your hook, and you're in like Flynn. How about this quote:

"Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae."

Kurt Vonnegut :)

sweet said...

Wow, first entry in ages that actually has me desperate to read the book. Hope the writing is as good as it promises.

writtenwyrdd said...

The query is a bit confusing, but I DO want to read this book.

Anonymous said...

I hate angel stories, unless they're really cute like Michael. This looks like it's in the same ballpark. I would still hesitate, but I might actually pick this up. If you knew the vile sort that I was, you'd know the extent of this compliment.

S. W. Vaughn said...

Congrats. :-)

Kit Whitfield said...

Hilarious, punchy, suspenseful ... well done!

jerico said...

"Any reviewer who expresses rage and loathing for a novel is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae."

So that's why they put little swords in the maraschino cherries.

Inkwolf said...

Vengeful angelic kneecappers...oh, yeah, I'd read it.

A Paperback Writer said...

Hmm. Ebenezer Scrooge meets the mafia angels.
I do believe I'd read on.
Well done.

Soni said...

Oh, man, I sooo want to read this.

*doing the literary version of the pee-pee dance in anticipation*

Virginia Miss said...

Angels organized along the lines of the mafia. Brilliant.

Author, good job coming up with a fresh premise and stating it clearly. Good luck with this.

crankynick said...

Thanks, folks.

I appreciate the kind words.

I only hope that the pages don't disappoint when they go up.

redcap said...

And I'm sorry to say that Tony Vidmar is an Australian soccer player. You might want to change the name. Googling a name never hurts.

Ski said...

What I recognize is clear thought and a very smooth style that never lost me. I've seen that in other posts that have been whacked. For the life of me I can't tell the difference. I haven't felt this way since algebra. I am certainly dyslexic and I'm looking for a new career as a herdsman. Where are those damn sheep!

Rgds......Mr. Hopeless, aka... Ski

Anonymous said...

Okaaaay, I'm not sure what this is, but I'd read it for sure. Basically, it's the angels of goodness and light kicking ass, right? Can't go wrong with that. Have you read The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore?

Anonymous said...

jerico, hilarious!

I liked this, and I hope it's as funny as the hook.

Are all the authors getting through the COM non-American? Where is this set?

I get the distinct feeling I'm going to have a large pile of British (?Irish? ?Scottish?) novels to buy from amazon in about 3 years or so.

Shouga Tea said...

Congrats.
Continue.
I'm all about Michael muscling through, so I really hope we're seeing pages soon.