HH Com 490

Vampire children, excited to learn what they can do, while at the same time scared at the new world of danger all around them. Annabelle loves life. Her brother, Roland, loves adventure. What happens when you take two happy, optimistic children, and turn them into vampires? This question is answered in this 89,000-word young adult fantasy novel when an evil vampire destroys their family and his gentle wife rescues the children the only way she knows how, by making them into what she is and teaching them how to become children of the night instead of night monsters.

ANNABELLE & ROLAND, THE NIGHT CHILDREN, begins the ongoing adventures of these two children as they are thrust into the strange, hidden world of vampires, werewolves and other mysteries in the last years of the 1600’s. This first book covers their first seven years of discovery as they learn to be vampires. The children discover how to turn into bats and learn to control their cravings while facing a ruthless vampire hunter, witches, werewolves and finally the evil master vampire that killed their parents. This is book one of a thirteen book series. The following twelve books will chronicle their many adventures, covering three hundred years of world history from the perspective of these vampire children.

Ditch everything in red.
Focus on ONE book. You'll make my blood run cold to hear it's a 12 book series this early in the game.

Tell us this story. Use the Hook Me Up starting point for your mis en place.


M. Takhallus. said...

Trying to use vampires to do history. Clever, but I doubt it'll work. Vampires are pretty YA and YA readers won't do history. And they don't really do 13 book series much, series are more a middle reader thing.

But I'll tell you what: I think the time may be ripe for a YA vamp book. Alternately you can maybe take vampirism to middle reader, and maybe even get 13 books, if you can find a machine for keeping the jeopardy going.

So, if you're serious, either take it sexy to YA, or take it action-adventure to middle reader. I'll say this: there's a hole in the market for a monthly middle-reader series.

Inkwolf said...

Actually, I think this has the potential to be really successful. :)

(And Vampires HAVE done children's books. The Little Vampire has even recently been made into a kid's movie, and a fun film it is--I recommend it.)

Good luck with it!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gracious me. Don't mention the thirteen-book arc, just make the first one so good that they beg you for twelve more.

(I like the My Friend the Vampire books in middle school.)

A Paperback Writer said...

It's not a great hook, but the idea sounds good. I disagree with M. Takhallus: YA readers do history or anything else that's INTERESTING and FUN. And they love vampires (Anne Rice, Darren Shan, Stephenie Meyer, the Vampire Plagues-- which encompass lots of historical stuff). Trust me on this one; I've taught junior high school for 18 years.

Virginia Miss said...

Sounds like mid-grade to me. Also sounds pretty commerical. Please listen to the advice about not mentioning the 13-book series.

Jack Roberts, Annabelle's scribe said...

Thanks everyone! Especially you, Miss Snark! I’ll look into applying your advice!

Jack Roberts, Annabelle's scribe said...

One more thought.

What did she mean by “Use the Hook Me Up starting point for your mis en place”?

M. Takhallus. said...

Ink: Isn't Little Vampire a single title chapter book? They don't really do multi-book story arcs at that age, let alone history. I think writer had something more substantial in mind.

Writer: By the way, I disagree that you shouldn't mention series. Series are built differently than stand-alones. And a pub that has a hole for a series may not have one for a stand-alone. (And vice versa.) I don't know that I'd talk about 13 book arcs -- that's a big committment -- but you might say you're looking at it as a limited series. We've always mentioned the 's' word from the start.

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. I'd read the book. Do tell us when the story is published.

Keep writing,

jeanne said...

I think she means having everything measured and in its place, French; and X is the main guy;
Y is the bad guy;
they meet at Z and all L breaks loose.
If they don't solve Q, then R starts and if they do it's Lsquared, Snark.

writtenwyrdd said...

I agree, don't mention the planned 13-book arc. They'll beg for more if the book is good. :)

This could work as children's horror. Read Darren Shan's vampire series. Pretty strange and pretty gory, some of it.

I have a problem with the kind vampire wife, though. If she is the evil vampire's wife, how is it that she is able to nurture the children after she turns them? Wouldn't he just slaughter them anyhow? And the dynamic for that little family group feels all wrong and confusing for a children's book...unless she has done so on the sly and the kids are left alone afterwards.

That might make the story different, if the kids are forced to figure out a world they aren't old enough to understand, using rules they know nearly nothing about.

word veri: tymsxyex...to my sexy ex? Huh.

Inkwolf said...

M. Takhallus, my point re Little Vampire was only that there have been successful vampire books for younger audiences. I'm assuming that this series would be aimed more at the Magic Treehouse demographic level.

Jack Roberts, Annabelle's scribe said...

I read Darren Shan. Good stuff. I'm not that gory but I hope mine is as compelling.

The vampire wife is not evil, but good. Maybe I should explain that better?

writtenwyrdd said...

Based on what you've told us, the vampire wife just doesn't make sense to me, is all. Not for a kid's book. It implies a whole can 'o worms of adult-level complications like denial, enabling your abuser and emotional abuse.

Jack Roberts, Annabelle's scribe said...

I'm looking at the Harry Potter demographic.

All I know is I'm pretty happy with her throughts. I'm altering the query even now. ;)

Jack Roberts, Annabelle's scribe said...

writtenwyrdd, good points. There is past abuse implied, just like there is abuse shown in Harry Potter.
She is not happy with her husband's activities but has allowed him to continue. Seeing children as risk gave her enough guts to do something about it. Annabelle's fresh mind and ideas gives her the ability to protect them.
I can see I'm not explaining this very well.

M. Takhallus. said...

I just want to reiterate that there is a hole the size of a truck in the monthly paperback series market. That's where the market is and this strikes me as a viable product, assuming the writer has the chops.

Jack Roberts, Annabelle's scribe said...

M. Takhallus,
I've got the chops. What genre would I query for?