12.28.2006

HH Com 533

12-year-old Jack Hawkett sees ghosts. He sees them at school, at the shops, even at the beach. They don't frighten him, though. In Jack's world, haunters and livings exist side by side, usually happily.

But not always.

Jack is about to discover some haunters are unfriendly. Some haunters break all the rules of the Haunting Code of Conduct. Haunters like Moonface and Smell, resident house ghosts of 62 Ghoulstone Villas, Jack's new home.

Moonface and Smell are determined to drive Jack and his dad from number 62. Jack fights back with the help of his best friend Ritchie White, a keen but inept inventor of anti-haunter devices.

Desperate to win the battle for 62 Ghoulstone Villas, Jack and Ritchie's final hope is to break the strictest rule of their world - livings must not timewarp with haunters. Lives and deaths are about to be changed for ever.

"Moonface" is a 40,000-word fantasy novel for children aged 8-12.


oh who can resist a ghost named "smell"!!! Not me, and certainly not Killer Yapp.
This is cute. I don't have a clue about fantasy novels for middle grade readers but hell yes I'm reading this.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Haunting Code of Conduct"? You got my attention.

Anonymous said...

It sounds fun ... hope it's different from Casper and Beetlejuice ...

Angus Weeks said...

This looks like a pretty strong hook to me. The voice is good, too.

And keen but inept inventors appeal to me.

Anonymous said...

I like the last line, a cute and relevant twist on an old cliche: "Lives and deaths are about to be changed forever." The only thing I don't get is why the kids are "desperate" to win the battle for the house. How bad would it be if they lost the battle? Wouldn't they just move? Are the stakes bigger than just their location of residence?

Anonymous said...

MS said what I was thinking: A ghost named "Smell" is just too fun.

writtenwyrdd said...

This could work, but the terminology distracted me. "Livers" was probably meant to be pronounced as in alive, but it comes across as the organ with the 'short I sound'.

I couldn't help comparing it to The Frighteners, fyi.

writtenwyrdd said...

My bad, "livings" not "livers". Still, same problem, since I kept thinking "livers".

Christine said...

I see dead people. It's got cuteness, it's got kids, it's got spunk, but still...

I see dead people.

I hope the pages give me more than than re-hashed Sixth Sense. It's got potential.

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who thinks this reads like _The Sixth Sense_ for tweens?

xiqay said...

I liked this a lot. I like the Haunting Code of Conduct, the ghost named Smell, and the inept inventor of anti-haunter devices.

But when I got to the timewarp, all I could think of was Rocky Horror Picture Show and the song doing the time warp is sounding in my brain! (I like that, too, but it's not mid-grade!) And I don't know what this means. But I want to read the novel to find out.

But I'm with MS on this one: I like this a lot. :-)

Good luck.

katharine Swartz said...

I must admit this sounded like Sixth Sense to me too, just less creepy. But that doesn't mean there isn't a market for it. It could still be a good story, and I like the voice.

Inkwolf said...

Sounds like fun. :) Good luck with it! I'm looking forward to seeing those pages.

Kiki said...

This is so *cute*!
Good luck with it. I'd definitely pick it up.

Snitchcat said...

This sounds like good fun. Reminds me of Casper, but that's all to the good -- I liked Casper.

I'd read this.

A Paperback Writer said...

It reminds me a bit of Debbie Gliori's Pure Dead Magic series, which I LOVE. I'd pick it up just for that reason.

533 said...

Thanks for all the comments. I'm very chuffed to have got the nod from Miss Snark. I hope you'll let me know what you think of the pages as well.

Anonymous said...

Even though the name Moonface reminds me of Enid Blyton's Faraway tree, I love this. Can't wait to see the pages.