HH Com 539

All Ronnie Thompson wanted to do was play baseball, to pitch to the best, and maybe to escape the restrictive Kansas farm of his upbringing. He dreamed of the big leagues, of strikeouts and shutouts, of World Series wins. He had the arm, the stamina, the brains, the desire. Two magic seasons and now he was there—the World Series.

He couldn’t know a NY mafia Don would lose an $80 million parlay bet if Thompson pitched the Cubs to victory over the Yankees in game 7. He didn’t know that the swirl of strange events during the past months were behind the scenes machinations of competing Mob bosses. He didn’t understand that his team’s poor performance of late was the result of payoffs to a few. And he didn’t know he was in a crossfire, set to be triggered at the seventh inning stretch if the Cubs had a prayer of winning.

“In Front of Fifty Thousand Screaming People” is a baseball thriller (approximately 90,000 words), telling how one mafia Don tries, using an assortment of women, drugs, and bribes, to prevent a young phenom pitcher from leading the normally hapless Cubs to a title that has eluded them for a century. A rival Chicago gangland boss does all he can to protect the man who can win his bet for him and bring down the New Yorker’s tottering empire.

Just a small detail..who's holding the bet? Cause really, you don't need to kill the pitcher, you only need to kill the guy holding the betting slip. No bookie, no bet.

I want the Cubs to win as much as the next Yankees fan, but I prefer my Cubs to win the old fashioned way...Faustian bargains.

And this isn't a hook. It's a run down of the plot.


Anonymous said...

"I want the Cubs to win as much as the next Yankees fan, but I prefer my Cubs to win the old fashioned way...Faustian bargains."


Dear 539,

I really hope you can fix this. Though it may be fiction - I'd love to read about the Cubs in the Series!

dana p said...

Oooh, a fantasy novel!

Merely *getting* to the World Series would be a swoon-inducing thrill for us Cubs fans. Actually *winning* it would be like -- well, I guess I'll just have to read this novel to find out, won't I? Since I'm not likely to ever find out in real life...

I'd love a good baseball novel. I'm not sure from the hook whether the focus is on the Mafia guys, on the pitcher, or alternating between both worlds.

Martha O'Connor said...

"Would the lady who left her nine kids at Wrigley Field please pick them up immediately? They are beating the Cubs 4-0 in the 7th inning."

As a diehard fan of the Loveable Losers I would definitely read this!