12.30.2006

HH Com 639

On the day that the fattest, sweatiest man in Hong Kong kidnapped his parents, thirteen-year-old Boyd McCloyd found out he had a new job from an eight-foot tall yeti in a pinstripe suite and a stoic Chinese android. The job in question: Boyd was to continue to produce yearly editions of The Almanac of the Twisted and Weird (the world's number one printed resource for the odd and unusual, macabre and profane, twisted and...weird).

However, because Boyd had inherited this job from the venerable Confucius Ping, he also inherited Mr. Ping's enemies, every one of which had made it their lifelong goal to destroy everything that Mr. Ping represented. This dastardly and treacherous group of werewolves, leprechauns, mutant swordfish, dwarf giants, and various other cadres of criminals includes the very man who had kidnapped Boyd's parents: Mr. Fang.

It is this Mr. Fang that makes a demand of Boyd: Bring him the Perpetual Motion Machine or his parents suffer a most gruesome fate. But Boyd doesn't have all the pieces and it's a race against the clock as Boyd's ragtag group of acquaintances bolt across Hong Kong in a desperate search to save his parents from being the main course of the next Hot Pot at one of Mr. Fang's many restaurants.

Gives one a whole new perspective on ordering take out doesn't it?

This is actually pretty funny and I love the energy of it.
I'm utterly clueless about middle grade fantasy so I won't comment on whether it's old hat or age appropriate. I will say I like it a lot.

8 comments:

Virginia Miss said...

I like the setting. Congrats on hooking Miss Snark.

I think you could prune some words, for example end the first sentence after "job." And in the third paragraph you could simply say "Mr. Fang demands Boyd bring him..."

I also suggest you put this in present tense. That way you get "Since Boyd inherits this job.." instead of "had inherited."

Georgiana said...

This looks like lots of fun. I would absolutely get this for my fourteen year old.

Anonymous said...

I love the setting and idea. I would buy the book for my kids. But they'd have to wait until I finished it first. MG fiction is where it's at. I'm serious.

Anonymous said...

I read a lot of MG books since I work in a school library, and I really dig this. It's got a Louis Sachar feel to it, and I'd totally read it.

Just the name "Boyd McCloyd" makes me giggle.

A Paperback Writer said...

Ah, a new twist on the old Scottish urban legend of the demon barber who slit throats and let his neighbor bake up cannibal pies in her little shop. Sounds interesting.

dana p said...

I like "Boyd McCloyd" too. I also second the motion to put it all in present tense.

It is this Mr. Fang that makes a demand of Boyd... should read "who" instead of "that."

Love the "most gruesome fate" his parents are threatened with.

This is clever, & I'm glad MS likes it.

Inkwolf said...

I think the actual writing needs a little smoothing out, but the story sounds great!

Anonymous said...

the old Scottish urban legend of the demon barber who slit throats and let his neighbor bake up cannibal pies in her little shop

Sweeney Todd. Not Scottish and, scarily, not an urban legend.