12.30.2006

HH Com 682

Zira has the rare talent to send and read emotions. Though her gift is dangerous to society and her soul unless strictly controlled, she rebels against the discipline of apprenticeship.

In a land with three human species, she falls in scandalous love with a yellow-furred man of the northern mountains. Her father banishes her to a mother she has never known, and then her mother sends her off on a journey with the sea people. There she contends with a lustful boat captain, murderous enemies, and her own ability to influence others against their wills.

Zira wants to use her Listener’s talent to ease the hostility between cultures. She wants to do her duty and have her passion, too. But the more she grows into her power, the more she must choose: her training or the people she loves.


This is a list of events, but there's no sense of plot. What's preventing her from using her talent?

8 comments:

jamiehall said...

Here are some things I tripped over:

Why is her talent dangerous?

The main character seems to be aimlessly drifting from one thing to another.

For example, at first it seems like this is a forbidden love novel about her wanting the yellow-furred man, but then it sounds like she is involved with the boat guy. If it is forbidden love, it ought to not feel like a side-plot. If it is a side-plot, something more concrete needs to tie everything together into one gigantic plot-arc.

angie said...

Wait. Isn't this a repeat? Unless I'm completely nuts (entirely possible) I seem to remember the yellow-furred romance deal. *Shudder*

Virginia Miss said...

angie, the yellow-furred man looked familiar to me, too.

jamiehall said...

I thought it might be a repeat too. But so far, every time I've thought that, it's been because I've seen it on the Absolute Write message board. So I just assumed I was wrong again.

Anonymous said...

#176

M. G. Tarquini said...

It is a repeat. Number 176. Interesting because Miss Snark had much the same comments, albeit these are truncated.

McKoala said...

I remember a yellow furry man and I don't hang out at Absolute Write (should I?!). Maybe EE?

HawkOwl said...

Damn. I used my "it's not a rare talent on Crapometer" card already.