12.08.2006

Tales from the Crapometer

Dear Miss Snark,

Thank you. So much. For holding this Crapometer.

I wrote my first-ever hook, and revised it several times to get it good and under the limit. Then I let some of my friendly fellow writers take a look at it.

One of whom noticed that one description about my YA SF novel makes it sound like erottica.

I may be a writer, but words can't accurately describe my reaction. Not only did my brain blow a fuse, but I was honestly able to see why someone would think that. If I'd sent it off, I don't know which would have been worse- having agents pass over it for the smutty content, or having agents request it for the smutty content.

Thank you so much for putting me in my place. I now feel dirty.

5 comments:

Dave said...

For many years (baker's dozen) I sent out a meeting notice with a name, company affiliation, title, summary and bio... I ALWAYS asked a friend to read it because half of the notices had typos.
Don't feel bad, you are not alone. It pays to get a reader and a fresh opnion

BernardL said...

Perhaps an erotic flavor in the hook will make your YA SF novel stand out. I see nothing wrong with that. The Young Adult market today would probably not take a second look at anything less.

Anonymous said...

If it's not conveying the impression that you want, you'll just have to revise again. Ask the person who looked at it exactly what it was about your description that made it sound erotic. With something as short as a hook, you might only need to change a few words to fix it.

You might want to ask some other people for their opinions first, though. It's possible that your one friend just happens to have a dirty mind....

Anonymous said...

BernardL said...
Perhaps an erotic flavor in the hook will make your YA SF novel stand out. I see nothing wrong with that. The Young Adult market today would probably not take a second look at anything less.


I've been wondering about this. Is there a market for YA erotica or YA with the occasional sex scene (after all, young adults certainly have sex drives), or is that something that publishers won't touch? (I can't imagine school libraries being able to buy such a book!)

Inigo said...

Frank Portman's widely praised YA novel King Dork features multiple blow jobs, and Scott Westerfeld's vampire/end-of-the-world YA novels Peeps and The Last Days feature sex as one of the vectors for vampirism, and those were published in 2006, 2005 and 2006, respectively. So it seems that sex and a certain amount of sexual tension (erotica) is working.