1.28.2007

Fantasy, foul play and fine novels

Dear Miss Snark,

I would like to join the ranks of those who have thanked you for your work and your time (beyond the call of duty) responding to the latest crapometer submissions. Very, very helpful.

It seemed that a majority of the hooks fell into either the fantasy/sci fi category or involved dead bodies. Could you comment on this? Do you see these same percentages in submissions to your lit agency? How does this reflect what gets published? And finally, how's it going with the Pynchon?


Much as we all like to think of ourselves as the center of the universe here, in fact, this blog is a tiny little backwater in the sea of publishing. Most of the writers who read it are early adopters of electronic forms...ie science fiction readers and writers. The other group, the dead body group, arrived and stayed cause they know that's the genre I love to read and most often use as illustrations of my instructions for non-nitwittery. There's probably good info here for romance writers, but I'd think they probably hang out at places that love romance the way I love Satan.

And dear dog, the Pynchon. Every time I start some wild eyed novelist throws a book at me and shrieks "I must have representation". Trouble is, they're turning out to be good writers. I've been reading some damn fine stuff lately and it's cut into my Pynchon time. This work thing really doesn't help either.

13 comments:

Maria said...

Miss Snark claims she has only the smallest of followings, but here we find ANOTHER mention of Miss Snark--and from an editor no less.

http://heydeadguy.typepad.com/heydeadguy/2007/01/a_day_in_the_li.html

Kristina Cook said...

Some romance authors do hang out here, too. Quietly, in my case.

Anonymous said...

I'm shocked, SHOCKED! that you insinuate that fantasy and science-fiction writers are computer geeks.

Kiskadee said...

We did a survey recently over on AbsoluteWrite. Of 125 writers, over 50% said they write fantasy. A further 28% (if I remember correctly) said they write SF.
It was a multiple-choice poll, on the Writing Novels forum.

Lena Genster said...

Some of us are here for the laughs, too.

Cynthia Reese said...

I'm a romance writer, and Miss Snark was the first recipient of thank you e-mails I sent (well, right after editor and agent) when I sold my first book.

I could not, absolutely could NOT, have emerged from the Wilderness of Nitwittery to the High Plateau of Publication without her Snarkalicious guidance -- oh, and Killer Yapp's, too.

In fact, on my website, in the For Writer's section, she's one of the few links I offer.

Snark on, Miss Snark!

cm allison said...

We of historical fiction also hang out here as often as possible. Just do not comment often. (We soak up but do not always speak up.)

Jo Bourne said...

And there you have it. The woods are brimming full of Romance writers.

We're just, like, y'know ... not as mouthy as the sf crowd.

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog: http://raleva31.livejournal.com/ where this agent sums up the hitting and missing queries that she gets. An interesting read if you are wondering about the spectrum of different genres / ideas she receives on a regular basis.

BuffySquirrel said...

Ah, but is it an unfashionable backwater?

Susan said...

This is an interesting answer, Miss Snark. I too think that all kinds of writers hang out here, including those of a literary bent, as the info you provide is very useful. But, true, maybe we're quieter. Also, defying expectations and/or stereotypes, you say that dead body books are what you love to read, but you're also taking on the Pynchon.

David Anthony Durham said...

I've been checking in here every now and then for a while now, but I've never left a comment before. I'm a "literary" historical novelist - whatever that means. But I've shifted to fantasy for the next couple of books. Still worrying about whether or not this is a good thing... I'll find out this summer, and in the meantime I'll be checking in more often, I reckon.

Brenda Bradshaw said...

Hey now, I write romantic comedy. Granted, it's snarky a lot of the time, which could explain my fascination with this blog. I bow to few, but Miss Snark is one of them.

Seriously, the insight learned here is cross-genre. Anyone could learn simply from reading. And reading. And reading some more.