2.24.2007

Extra agents

Dear Miss Snark,

Last week, Kristin Nelson posted on her blog that, upon receiving an offer of representation, an author should contact any other agents considering his/her full manuscript and inform them of the offer. Ms. Nelson stated that the lucky author should then give the other agents a deadline, ex: contact me by April 1st (joke's on me) if you're interested.

My question: if you agree that this isn't too forward an approach, how would you suggest wording the Love-Me-Or-Lose-Me email so as not to come off looking like a complete jerk?



Dear Miss Snark,

While you've been lollygagging around Kristin Nelson has been working. She's offered. What's up with you SlothSnark?


or


Dear Miss Snark,

My manuscript has been gathering electronic dust on your hard drive for lo these many moons. If it's not too much trouble could you get off your sorry ass and read it so that I can accept Agent Kristin's offer?


or

Dear Miss Snark,

I've received an offer for representation from Kristin Nelson. She's asked me to get back to her by April 1.



What I don't like is when I'm given a deadline. Info yes. Deadline no.
And it's VERY helpful if you mention the agent. I'd be just as likely to bow out of the dance if it's Kristin cause I know for a fact you'd be in good hands. On the other hand, I always like whisking a good novel out from under the noses of my colleagues too. You mention one of the 20 Worst Literary Agents, we're going to have an entirely different conversation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But what if Kristin Nelson didn't say, "Get back to me by April 1st"? What if she just said, "Oh, let me know when you've contacted the other agents with your full," or something like that. I wouldn't want to lie by saying she had told me April 1st, would I? Isn't the #1 rule in querying, "DO NOT LIE NO MATTER HOW TEMPTED YOU ARE"?

Anonymous said...

So I understand that your last sample is not considered a deadline, even though it's strongly implied.

J

Anonymous said...

20 worst literary agents? Is there a list somewhere? (Apologies if you've discreetly linked to it before...) Good to know.