2.14.2007

Getting to Yes

Oh, Master of the Snark Side (and Hi to the Killer Yap, too),

This morning, my favorite prospective agent became my agent. How's that for the start of a Monday morning in February? This agent has rejected two previous works. However, she also asked for first look at any new work I had available. Mind you, there's a list of about ten or so agents I've contacted over the past two years who are like that. All of them have sent rejections. All of them wanted the next project to look at. (Not in a "Not for me. Remember my assistant next time you want a form rejection" way, but an "I like this, but not enough to pitch it. What else ya got?" way.)

I think it's important for those out there to remember that rejections aren't the end of the world. They are, in fact, sometimes networking opportunities. If someone's going to go through their slush pile and take the time to say, "I like your style; here's what I'm looking for," they obviously see potential.


yup

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice going. A victory for us all. How's that go...after the last no (ten or ten thousand) there's a yes?

pjm said...

Congratulations, and best of luck!

kathryn magendie said...

Yes, I have received those "what else ya got" from editors of lit mags, and even from an agent or two. I've received enough of them to almost shrug at them now *laughing* however, after reading this, I know now I will just keep plugging along as I am.

Meantime, writers out there-don't put all your words in one itty basket--while querying for your novel(s) or collection(s) why not try out some other venues? I've begun writing columns for some local pubs - never thought I could or would, but it's pretty durn 'cool' -and it keeps me distracted and busy and it keeps me writing regularly and I'm "getting my name out there" - all of that doodly doo dah day stuff.

For a year I did practically nothing but novel this and novel that, and then slapped myself silly for not seeing what else was out there to do. I started sending out my essays and short stories-and to the "little guys" too, and some are getting pub'ed.

Then, an editor of a publication contacted me-saw my work, asked if I wanted to write for them...hey! I said, well, why not...

Who knows where things could lead? Maybe my novel will always be "very well written, but too traditional for this saturated market," and will gather dust until something changes, or not, but in the meantime, I'm writing my arse off -another novel, a collection of stories, essays that are getting snapped up, and my columns and feature stories. yeehaw! As long as I get to write, and someone gets to read it, I'm happy (although getting VK pub'ed would be a yippie kai yo kai yayyyy moment, of course).

Now, get to work! write write write- try something new.
namaste.

Steve Prosapio said...

Congrats to the author! I needed the encouragement today!!!

Chicago in February said...

Thanks (and congratulations) to the writer for sending this to Miss Snark. It helps the struggling keep perspective.

Heidi the Hick said...

Nice to read something like this!!

Like Kathryn, I've been sending things off to lit mags. So far, no response, but I'm still new at this. I think it's good to do that just for the discipline of it: it keeps me writing, and querying, and sharpening my skills. Besides, after two solid months of editing I cannot look at that novel for at least a month...