2.15.2007

It's not the New Yorker but...

Miss Snark,


My short story was published online on the emag Johnny America. No payment was involved, just posting on the site. Now, here's the question: Am I a published author? Can I include this in my query letters?



Clearly you should have had an agent do this deal cause they DO dangle the option of payment and you need an agent to kick ass and make sure your "Payment, if there is any, will come in the form of peculiar or amusing objects of negilible monetary value; a doodle of a mongoose on a coffee-stained napkin, for example" is received promptly.

This is a pretty funny site. If you sent me a query letter and mentioned it I wouldn't think you were a nitwit.

6 comments:

PHENOMENAL WOMAN said...

Thank you very much. I guess a little legitimacy is better than none...

hwalk said...

I have a question--do agents represent short stories a lot? So if I get an agent for a novel and get a novel or two published, and I write a lot of short fiction (hypothetically) does that mean that my agent will also represent the short stories that I want to get published?

LKH said...

It's an interesting site.
I liked the explanation of the Perpetua font's history... Immortality certainly comes in strange guises.

Anonymous said...

I agree, this is one of the funniest web=lit sites that I have ever read.

Good luck!

Girl Friday said...

I'd like to know WHO IS Johnny America. There is no information as to who the editors are & what gives them their authority?

wonderer said...

hwalk - No, agents don't represent short stories. Even if you have an agent for your novels, you're on your own for selling your short stories (though it's possible that an agent might help you do an anthology of reprinted short stories once you've published enough of them).