2.24.2007

Rejection letters

Ms. Snark:

I'm probably an obsessive nitwit for asking, but I have thick skin, so I'm prepared for the cluegun. I've become an expert at getting rejection letters. (Every blue moon, I get an acceptance letter, which causes me to faint dead away.) As my stack of rejections mount, I've found myself trying to decide which of the two rejection types is better:

Good plot, strong character, not for me rejection, short and sweet--sometimes even handwritten.

or

Long laborious letter saying, well, yes, we represent this kind of thing, but the writing just didn't grab us. Maybe we'll be interested future projects & best of luck.

I would appreciate any opinions.


More is always better. ALWAYS. Especially when it's full of the things they didn't like. Pay attention to the things you hear more than once.

Personal rejection letters are goldmines. Use them.

4 comments:

Kimber An said...

Oh, I agree on the gold mine. I only saved one rejection letter from my last trip through Queryland, even though I got several personal ones. I can remember what they say, so I don't see the point in keeping them. I saved the one because it was particularly sweet. Just a note jotted down at the top of the form rejection letter.

Chumplet said...

I save 'em ALL! I remember the first one like it was yesterday. The embossed letterhead, the real signature. That was the first moment I felt like a real writer.

The personalized rejections are pulled out and read again and again. I even keep the email rejections in my Writing inbox.

Maya Reynolds said...

There's another reason to save those rejection letters. When you are trying to prove to an IRS auditor that those deductions you took for writing expenses are real and that writing isn't just your hobby, those letters come in very, very handy.

Anonymous said...

Miss Snark's advice from an agents point of view is dead on perfect.

But from a writer's point of view you should only take the objective comments to heart...never NEVER pay attention to the subjective comments. Miss Snark prefers gin; most people these days want beer or vodka.