3.16.2007

Bookseller, writer, cop.

In today's Shelf Awareness email news comes this addition to the story:


R.I.P.: Nicholas Pekearo

One of the two auxiliary police officers who were killed in Greenwich Village in New York City Wednesday night by a heavily armed gunman was a bookseller at Crawford Doyle Booksellers in New York, where he had worked for five years, today's New York Times reported. Nicholas Pekearo, 28, "was steeped in hard-boiled, noir kinds of things," business manager Ryan Olsen told the paper. "He was our go-to guy for mysteries. He grew up with comics--that was a love of his."

Pekearo was revising a novel that Tor Books editor Eric Raab was interested in. "I see thousands of manuscripts a year," he said. "When I saw his, I thought, man, this guy's got something I've got to nurture."

Pekearo's girlfriend, Christina Honeycutt, whom he met when she joined the staff at Crawford Doyle, said, "He'd gone through the dark years of New York City as a kid, tripping over hypodermic needles in the street, and he'd come into this time of relative ease in the city and he just wanted to give back. He wanted to help anyone, like talking down a guy who wanted to kill himself one night."

Although Pekearo and his partner were auxiliary police (who work unarmed), they will receive full police honors at the their funerals. One friend commented: "He'd definitely get a kick out of [that]."

16 comments:

Dr. Hack said...

Man. All the good guys get waxed before their time. It's a shame, truly.

Lesley Livingston said...

This makes me ineffably sad.
My thoughts go out to both men's family and friends.

I was in New York for the very first time last month and I absolutely loved it. These two guys, and those like them, sound like a big part of the reason that the City is as fantastic today as I found it to be. What a loss.

LL

Anonymous said...

Stranger still, the
murderer (according to the NYT) was an aspiring screenwriter of science fiction movies.

Anonymous said...

I really hope this happened despite the fact they had bullet proof vests on. It would be an outrage to send people to do this kind of work without even that much protection.

Jaye Wells said...

Kind of puts all the time we spend worrying about word count and SASEs into perspective, doesn't it? It's wonderful they'll have full honors--they deserve it.

Elektra said...

I didn't realize how young they were...

It's an outrage. There's nothing to say.

Anonymous said...

I read MS's post yesterday and it was the sort of thing that stuck to me--I've been around bad things happening to good people -- wars, riots, quakes, tsunamis -- a good deal of my life, but it's not something one gets accustomed to, even distant news like this hurts.

Ghost Girl said...

I've just posted this quotation on my own blog, and I'll share it here:

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would say something much deeper and nobler than we may ever know resides within these two souls. And it will always matter.

Beth said...

According to an AP article:

Auxiliary officers are not issued bulletproof vests but can wear them if they buy their own. Pekearo was wearing a bulletproof vest, but only one shot hit the vest; bullets punctured his skin six times.

And the other man was shot in the back of the head, so it wouldn't have helped even if he had been wearing one.

I'm glad they're being given full honors. They are true heroes.

Kim Stagliano said...

These were auxilliary police - they buy their own gear, sort of like the Army over in Iraq. I read that in the times. So sad.

Anonymous said...

Exactly 17 years ago this very week I was shot while working as an unarmed public safety officer (a paid version of an auxiliary cop) in NYC. Unlike these two brave men, I (obviously) survived.

Similarly, unlike the nearly dozen firefighters from the FDNY Special Operations Command who perished in the collapse of the Twin Towers -- whose two colleagues ten years earlier had come to my aid -- I am alive.

Unlike Officer Pekearo, I recovered from a bullet which pieced my body, then went on to write a book about an unrelated personal experience, returned to college and got a degree, then went to DC for five years to become a Capitol Hill reporter.

I feel damn lucky.

Squarehead said...

The first time I heard hostile gunfire I was in the army, it scared me quite a bit, and I had a weapon and the ability to return fire. The absolute courage that these two young men displayed is just incredible. I was once a cop (now retired) and I never went anywhere without my sidearm. I can't imagine not only facing an armed subject, but chasing that subject with an empty hand. These words are small, I feel small. Miss Snark it best when she said thank you. That really is all we can say.

flem snopes said...

"That's something he'd definitely get a kick out of."

And maybe a bigger kick if one of you crime-writing types named a good-guy character "Pekearo."

And to the person who used this tragedy to slam the Iraq war, you are scum.

Kanani said...

Another gifted reader and writer dies much too soon.

Scummy Mummy said...

Mr. Snopes, I wasn't slamming the war, simply pointing out that the aux police in NY are not given protective garments. This link from USA Today is quite informative. Shall I send my love to my own family members who are in Iraq from you?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-03-26-body-armor_x.htm

Anonymous said...

A pity they weren't armed. A tragedy, in fact.