Geeze louise, you'll torture a good deed to death, won't you?

Dear Miss Snark,

I wonder if I just made a mistake. Here's what happened: After five weeks, Agent A said he just placed a manuscript very similar to mine and therefore was going to pass. (He had a partial.) However, he thought I should send it to Agent B, who works at a different agency.

I posed this situation to other writers, and based on their opinion and my own eagerness, I queried Agent B, citing A's referral (without saying why A passed on it). Now I'm wondering if it doesn't look like I've passed along leftovers. How do agents feel about this type of referral?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Have you completely taken leave of your senses?
Time for the cluegun, and you are the target du jour.

We all know you query multiple agents. Not too many of us get our knickers in a wad for hearing about your work from someone who's seen it first. Frankly, we think you work down the list in alpha order anyway. And we have other things to obsess about, like the SpaceArk bidding war.

You have a referral to a colleague from an agent. This is a good thing.


michaelgav said...

"...like the SpaceArk bidding war."

What the hell were you doing last night that you can be so dead-on snarky at 6:32 AM? You keep this up and I see a drive-time radio show in your future.

S. W. Vaughn said...

Ah... thank you, Miss Snark! You've answered a question I didn't even know I had.

That's why I luvs ya. :-)

Anonymous said...

And we have other things to obsess about, like the SpaceArk bidding war.

::snort:: I almost choked on that one.

SAND STORM said...

Well as is often the case with moi, au contraire. I had an agent refer me only to have the next agent tell me she didn't represent thrillers, she was kind enough to refer me and the next agent replied that while he represented thrillers he did not represent "terrorist themed" thrillers. Take from it what you will your mileage may vary.

jamiehall said...

Might I add that this is an EXTREMELY good thing. Agents don't refer bad (or even medoicre) writing to their colleagues, or they lose both their friends and their reputations. Agents hardly ever do this; they reserve referrals for the few times when they were truly impressed. And the agent that you were referred to will know this. Count yourself lucky.

Daisy said...

I work in reverse alphabetical order, because I figure the agents at the end of the alphabet get fewer queries.

dan said...


Kit Whitfield said...

So you got a referral? Congratulations, your book must be good. You don't need to rehash every detail of why when you query B - if B wants to know, they can always ask A, who, after all, they know professionally and can trust to be honest. But very probably they won't want one; they'll just look at your book with a bit more interest, and make a decision based on your writing.

It's easy to hyperventilate over these things because it's so horribly stressful, but really, you've done the right thing and got a compliment to your work, and that's all. There's no bad here. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Anonymous said...

daisy, you are a clever one. If that is any indication of how deep and progressively your characters think, I can't wait to delight in the deathlessness of your prose.

Daisy said...

anon.- I'm afraid you might not like it; I sometimes employ humor