3.23.2007

IOM #9

Clueless in Cambodia

She was waiting for Snazzy Dan Lazar so I said that's who I was.

She was the sphinx. I was the griffin. Both of us had claws.

"Mister La Zar. You reach already? I make you reacher. Come vit me."

"Destination."

"Some-vair, under ze moonbeam, vay up high," she crooned, huskily.

I loved the voice. I smiled. "Target."

"Vott you care? You chusst kill him."

"Location."

"Kampodscha."

"Vehicle."

"Ve fly. Helicopter from Saigon."

"Compensation."

"Me."

I took the job. We fell in love. I came unstuck. She left.

Now I'm all alone. Glueless in Cambodia.


dear dog in...Phnom Penh!

6 comments:

Rei said...

Minor observation:

I misread the first line as "She was waiting for Snazzy Dan Lazar, so that's who I was" and liked it better that way.

Anonymous said...

aptly named clueless

Anonymous said...

You reach already? I make you reacher.

ooh, I wish I had thought of that one...

McKoala said...

Oh, I wanna be 'reach'.

Anonymous said...

very clever.

liosis said...

"I misread the first line as "She was waiting for Snazzy Dan Lazar, so that's who I was" and liked it better that way."

Thats not what they said?

...so it isn't. And here I was being stunned by such a skillful use of language.