The valley of the shadow of "reading a full"

Hello there, your Clooneyness, (ha)

I was referred to an uber agent by her client. She read my first 3 chapters and liked them. She suggested changes, and after those changes were complete, I sent her the full as requested. She has never offered representation. Is this common practice among agents? I am waiting to hear her response. Would it be improper etiquette to query others during this time period? I know that you say to query widely, but what about an agent who edited your first 3 chapters, suggested a title change, and asked to see the full after manuscript changes were suggested. Does that sound promising to you? Thank you, Miss Snark!

It is promising but a promise isn't an offer.
Keep querying till you get to yes.

Don't sign with someone else till you've let her know you've received an offer, but don't sit around waiting for us to get up off the settee, shake the bon bon crumbs off our remote control and get back to you.

Your time is just as valuable as mine. Probably more so in fact given I live in an alternate universe that has 36 hour days.


Anonymous said...

I don't share your fascination for George, nor do I really daydream about any celebrities at all, but last night I dreamed I was on holiday at some cottage-style resort and Clooney was there. He was coming on to me, and all I could think of was how to redirect him your way.

Can't have my own fantasies, oh no. I have to dream on someone else's behalf.

ChumleyK said...

That's funny. Last night I dreamt that Miss Snark and George were coming over for dinner. Must have been something about the moon last night.

S. W. Vaughn said...

I love you. :-)

In a friendly, non-threatening, and completely platonic way, of course.

Anonymous said...

Weird: Last night I dreamt I was in a tsunami - do you think that portends momentous things for the Snark one and her beloved?

Pat Logan said...

How do I get to your alternate universe? I could use a few 36 hour days ...

Anonymous said...

One of the very few times I disagree with Miss Snark--I would suggest talking to the agent about this--offer a very short exclusive or else let her know you're continuing to submit elsewhere. (She should have requested an exclusive if she wanted one, but I'll bet she took for granted it was an exclusive since one of her clients referred you and she's already given you some writing help.) If she's helped you with those early chapters, and that makes other agents even more interested when you submit them, it's like helping you has been detrimental to her, because someone else can scoop her now.

Communicate. Ask her how quickly she expects to get back to you and if it's a reasonable time frame, w/i 2 or 3 weeks, I'd recommend granting it. Sounds like she's very interested. On the other hand, I've done revisions for early chapters but told the author it would take me a while to read the rest so he was free to continue to query. Only the agent knows how invested and enthusiastic she is about your work (is she just doing that as a favor to her client or because she's really excited about your work for its own merit?) so ask her if she expects you to hold off on querying others and for how long.

-Rachel Vater