4.16.2007

Here's a new one--thank dog

Miss Snark,



A question: the fiction editor of Esquire plans to send me a napkin for the magazine's Napkin Fiction Project. He says editors and agents have scouted writers who've written for this endeavor. Is this true? Could I really get attention for what I write on a napkin? Is this why I went to graduate school?

Should I go to the bar and practice now?

dunno;
sure, why not;
no, you went to graduate school to get laid; and,
yes.

Never turn Serendiptity away from the door, even if she's only dressed in a cocktail napkin.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha... I bet they wrote many many drafts!

Ric said...

Knew I should have gone to grad school. Damn.

Ryan Field said...

I was once asked to write copy for a wig company, of all things. It turned out to be a lucrative gig. Never say no.

Anonymous said...

I saw one issue of the napkin fiction. Yes, it exists. I think Tom Beller had a piece, I forget who else did.

Dave said...

This is worth a read.
Thanks to Ms Snark and whoever pointed it out.

Niteowl said...

I've read a few pieces of that napkin contest, I thought they were, by and large, delightful.

Tov said...

Congratulations to this writer: THIS IS FREE PUBLICITY. And, it's Esquire, a periodical known for the quality of its writing. And!It's short: a couple paragraphs and you're in print.

Anonymous said...

That's why one goes to grad shcool? Boy, am I ever in the wrong program. . .

apathy said...

Interesting that the vast majority of napkin fiction writers seem to be men..