4.08.2007

Miss Thing

I love Library Thing!
In case you aren't aware of what it is, there's a link on the blog sidematter listing all the books I've read (so far!) in 2007. I forget which of my beloved Snarklings turned me on to this but consider yourself thanked again.

I've just pulled myself out of Capote by Gerald Clarke and after 540 pages I'm forswearing gin and gossip. Talk about a cautionary tale.

I was adding Capote to my list and thought I'd sort the list by the column showing how many other LibraryThingsters shared a title.

Top three on my list that are on other people's lists:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
The Time Traveler's Wife
The Lovely Bones

no surprises there.

Here's the book that had 0 shares:

Dr. Dre: The Biography

9 comments:

SAND STORM said...

Dr. Dre: The Biography? Have you no shame? A gin soaked morning after choice no doubt? sad, "in a look at the poor thing kinda way" :)

Deschanel said...

George Plimpton's oral history of Capote from a few years back is superb too!

"Truman Capote: In Which Various Friends, Enemies, Acquaintences and Detractors Recall His Turbulent Career".

http://www.amazon.com/Truman-Capote-Acquaintences-Detractors-Turbulent/dp/0385491735/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-8998322-8211310?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176067581&sr=1-2

Bill Peschel said...

Yes to Plimpton's book! (There's one about Hemingway called "The True Gen" as well). It's fascinating to hear the same story told from different viewpoints. Their comments about C's black and white ball range from glamorous to incredibly dull. It makes you realize how much of history is so much the product of sausage-making.

Anonymous said...

Miss Snark,

Thank you (and other blogging agents/editors) for the book recommendations. I would never find such gems without these smalls helps.

Sue, who might sign in anon as blogger no longer recognizes me

Pepper Smith said...

Haven't had the time to really explore Library Thing yet. I guess I'll need to.

Pepper (who had the neat experience of discovering that someone out there actually listed one of her books in their library thing list.)

(Is Blogger making anyone else enter the word verification thing twice even though it was entered correctly the first time?)

Pat Logan said...

I really enjoyed "The Time Traveler's Wife", more than I thought I would.

Anonymous said...

Library Thing is great for finding books to add to a bibliography. They have groups, and if you join the groups that touch your area of interest, you can see what others have listed. I've found a few books to get from interlibrary loan that way.

Chris Mansell said...

I love LibraryThing and use cataloguing to distract myself from working when it all becomes too much. Only 500 or so books up yet but some interesting contacts.

Fiona said...

Library Thing is a new addiction! I wish I had the time to enter all of my library in it.

I love the author pictures and the book covers.