4.03.2007

Tossed overboard

Miss Snark,

Though I doubt it could ever happen, I need to ask: Have you ever been dumped? By a client, that is.

Unfortunately, I need to part ways with my agent and begin the search for a new one. I get what I'm supposed to do -- letter, 30 days notice, etc.

But is there a way to soften the blow? I know, I know, I'm going to have to toughen up if I'm going to continue on this path to published, but I made the mistake of not only thinking she could sell my work, but liking her, too. Damn.

Help me be mean. In kind of a nice way, of course.


I've been dumped indeed.
And sometimes in ways that make me think of revenge and required Father Finbar to be rousted from bed for an emergency session in the confessional at St. Patricks. This being New York, not much phases (ok, sorry, fazes) Father Finbar, but I notice he does clutch his heart when Miss Snark slithers in.

Kristen Nelson posted something about parting ways on her blog, you might google to see if you can find it.

I prefer a very short letter saying "yer toast Snarkles" cause in the end, why doesn't matter. The urge to point out flaws, mistakes, miscommunications or other indications of less than stellar performance are understandable but too late. You've decided to part company. I only want to hear about problems when I have a chance to fix them first.

There are different kinds of "dumping" too. If she hasn't sold your work, it's not all that unexpected. If she's been your agent for five years, sold three projects for increasing sums of money, and has saved you from the chopping block once or twice, well, nothing is going to soften that blow and I'm going to be mad for a good long time...err..I mean "the agent" will be mad for a good long time.

Plain, simple, straightforward, no "I'm sorry it had to be this way".

6 comments:

OpenChannel said...

Kristin mentions this a few times in her blog:

on August 3, 2006
http://pubrants.blogspot.com/2006/08/saying-goodbye-to-your-agent.html

and also a series of blogs about what
to do when an agent has "lost that loving feeling" on Sept 12-14, 2006

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Fazes. Fazes fazes fazes.

Ow, my head.

McKoala said...

LOL fazes. I got a job once because I could spell 'fazes' correctly.

Anonymous said...

I think that was your problem, you wanted to be friends!

Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Snark and others --

Simple does seem better, and hopefully easier on everyone.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll research Kristin's advice, too.

Anonymous said...

St. Patricks is so beautiful I go there all the time and I am not even Catholic.

Of course I never go there when they are having biscuits and wine or listening to homilies or stuff like that.

Anyway, I thought if you lived in New York you had to be Jewish. I always assumed Miss Smark was ultra-orthodox.

No, I am not Jewish, either.

What was the rest of your post about?