5.07.2007

Who sends the money?

Dear Miss Snark,

Supposed that the Gods smile upon me and my agent and my book sells well.

Given that, who pays my agent? Do I receive the check form the publisher and then write a check or does the publisher write two checks?


The publisher pays me and I pay you, less 15% for my work.
If you fire me, the publisher still pays me and I pay you, less 15%

If you have a new agent, the new agent sells new work, gets a check from the publisher and pays you. I still pay you for the book I sold.

3 comments:

Sherry D said...

You know, I don't think I've ever realized before that once a book is sold via an agent, that book earns both that agent and the author royalties from now until it stops selling. It's a lifelong contract. What happens after the author or the agent dies? Heaven forbid, of course.

Dave said...

Neil Gamain has a link on his web page concerning ESTATE PLANNING! Go read it.

Michele Lee said...

I like that. I mean, I always knew that an agent would handle submission and at a basic level vetting ideas as to their potential. But handling a measure of accounting too is just dreamy. One less thing for me to have to worry about.